Struggling with Paying Your Taxes? Let IRS Help You Get a Fresh Start.
The Internal Revenue Service’s Fresh Start initiative makes it easier for individual and small business taxpayers to pay back taxes and avoid tax liens. The Fresh Start initiative fundamentally changes IRS Collection practices in the following areas:
Notice of Federal Tax Liens
The Fresh Start Initiative increased the IRS Notice of Federal Tax Lien filing threshold from $5,000 to $10,000; however, Notices of Federal Tax Liens may still be filed on amounts less than $10,000 when circumstances warrant.
Learn your options for making monthly payments on taxes owed to the IRS.
Offer in Compromise
Settle your tax debt for less than the full amount you owe.
- IRS Commissioner’s May 21, 2012, Fresh Start announcement.
- IRS Commissioner’s March 7, 2012, Fresh Start announcement
- IRS Commissioner’s February 24, 2011, Fresh Start announcement
- IRS Begins Tax Season 2009 with Steps to Help Financially Distressed Taxpayers. Promotes Credits, e-File Options (IR-2009-2)
- IRS Speeds Lien Relief for Homeowners Trying to Refinance, Sell (IR-2008-141)