Where's My Exemption Application?
The IRS receives more than 70,000 applications for tax-exempt status each year.
In order to process applications quickly and efficiently, we are streamlining our internal application procedures. Our goal by Fall 2014 is to be able to resolve applications within 270 days. A new,simpler application form, Form 1023-EZ is now available for eligible small organizations. You must complete the Form 1023-EZ Eligibility Worksheet in the Instructions for Form 1023-EZ to determine if you are eligible to file this form.
The average age of our pending application inventory now is July 2014.
If you submitted your application after the month indicated above, continue to check this web page for updated information on the average date of assigned applications. Updates will be made on the first Thursday of each month.
If you submitted your application before the month indicated above and you have not been contacted by the IRS about your application, you may want to contact the toll-free Customer Account Services at 877-829-5500. You will need the following information when calling:
- The name and address of the organization on whose behalf the request was submitted;
- The organization's employer identification number (EIN);
- The document locator number assigned to the request (if you have received one); and
- A proper power of attorney submitted with the exemption application, unless you are an officer or director and legally authorized to represent the organization.
- Exemption applications - additional information
- Requests for rulings or determination letters - additional information
- Expediting exemption applications
- More help from the IRS.