EO Update, June 5, 2013
Inside This Issue
- Tax relief for victims of severe storms and tornadoes in Oklahoma
- Prepare for hurricanes, natural disasters by safeguarding tax records
- Do you have clients filing FBARs?
- Refunds for cancelled RTRP test appointments
- Questions and Answers on 501(c) Organizations
1. Tax relief for victims of severe storms and tornadoes in Oklahoma
The IRS recently announced special tax relief for areas in Oklahoma and Illinois affected by severe storms in late May 2013. For those who want to assist the victims, Disaster Relief Resources for Charities and Contributors explains resources the IRS has to help those involved in providing disaster relief. Read the IRS news release.
2. Prepare for hurricanes, natural disasters by safeguarding tax records
With the start of this year’s hurricane season, the IRS encourages individuals and businesses to safeguard themselves against natural disasters by taking a few simple steps. Read news release.
3. Do you have clients filing FBARs?
Paper filings of TD F 90-22.1, Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR), for 2012 are due June 30.
Effective July 1, 2013, filers must electronically file the FBAR through the BSA E-File System. If unable to E-file, filers may contact the FinCEN Regulatory Helpline at 800-949-2732 to request an exemption.
Help in completing the FBAR is available Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Eastern Time, at (866) 270-0733 (toll-free inside the U.S.) or (313) 234-6146 (not toll-free, for callers outside the U.S.). Questions regarding the FBAR can be sent to FBARquestions@irs.gov. Filers residing abroad may also contact U.S. embassies and consulates for assistance.
For E-Filing system questions, call the FinCEN E-Filing Help Desk at (866) 346-9478, option 1 (M-F, 8-6 Eastern time).
4. Refunds for cancelled RTRP test appointments
The IRS Statement on Court Ruling Related to Return Preparers on IRS.gov has been revised.
5. Questions and Answers on 501(c) Organizations
The IRS has received questions related to the exempt organization issues raised recently. Here are some basics on the issue. Review Q&A.