EO Update, November 19, 2013
Issue Number: 2013-23
Inside This Issue
- IRS warns consumers of possible scams relating to relief of typhoon victims
- Seminars from the 2013 Forums available at IRS Nationwide Tax Forums Online
- 2014 PTIN renewal period underway for tax professionals
1. IRS warns consumers of possible scams relating to relief of typhoon victims
The IRS recently issued a consumer alert about possible scams taking place in the wake of Typhoon Haiyan. On Nov. 8, 2013, Typhoon Haiyan — known as Yolanda in the Philippines — made landfall in the central Philippines, bringing strong winds and heavy rains that have resulted in flooding, landslides, and widespread damage.
Following major disasters, it is common for scam artists to impersonate charities to get money or private information from well-intentioned taxpayers. Such fraudulent schemes may involve contact by telephone, social media, email or in-person solicitations.
The IRS cautions people wishing to make disaster-related charitable donations to avoid scam artists by following the tips listed in this news release.
2. Seminars from the 2013 Forums available at IRS Nationwide Tax Forums Online
The IRS reminds tax professionals that they can earn continuing professional education credits online through seminars filmed at the 2013 IRS Nationwide Tax Forums. The 14 self-study seminars are now available on the IRS Nationwide Tax Forums Online (NTFO) site. Self-study seminars provide information to students using interactive videos, PowerPoint slides and transcripts.
The 2013 NTFO seminars cover many topics of interest to tax professionals including the following subjects:
- tax law updates
- Treasury Circular No. 230 overview
- child-related tax benefits
- retirement plan loans and hardship distributions
- updates to the Form 706
3. 2014 PTIN renewal period underway for tax professionals
The IRS reminds the nation’s almost 690,000 federal tax return preparers to renew their Preparer Tax Identification Numbers (PTINs) for 2014. All current PTINs will expire on Dec. 31, 2013. See news release.