EO Update January 27, 2010
Issue Number: 2010-4
Inside This Issue
- Haiti Relief Donations Qualify for Immediate Tax Relief
- IRS Issues Electronic Filing Waiver Request Procedures
- Save the Date! 2010 Tax Forums Announced
1. Haiti Relief Donations Qualify for Immediate Tax Relief
The IRS alerted taxpayers who itemize deductions that they may claim donations to charities providing earthquake relief in Haiti on their 2009 tax return. This special tax relief provision is available only for cash contributions made after January 11, 2010, and before March 1, 2010. For more tips about claiming a deduction and other information about providing relief to Haiti through a charitable organization, see IRS.gov.
2. IRS issues Electronic Filing Waiver Request Procedures
The IRS has issued guidance explaining how exempt organizations required to file certain returns electronically may obtain a waiver of those requirements. The Notice also includes guidance on the timely filing of an electronically filed return that is rejected.
3. Save the Date! 2010 Tax Forums Announced
The IRS has announced the dates and locations of the 2010 Tax Forums. The Tax Forums offer three full days of seminars with the latest word from IRS leadership and experts in the fields of tax law, compliance and ethics.