EO Update April 6, 2011
Issue Number: 2011-6
Inside This Issue
- IRS Announces Qualified Disaster Treatment for Japan
- Sharpen Your Skills: Attend a Workshop for Small and Mid-size 501(c)(3) Organizations
- Registration is Open for the 2011 IRS Nationwide Tax Forums
- IRS Has New Videos About Creating Preparer Tax Identification Numbers (PTINs)
- New Guidance on Section 403(b) Plan Terminations
- IRS Releases 2010 Data Book
1. IRS Announces Qualified Disaster Treatment for Japan
The Internal Revenue Service announced that it has issued guidance that designates the earthquake and tsunami in Japan in March 2011 as a qualified disaster for federal tax purposes. This guidance affects recipients of disaster relief payments as well as employer-sponsored private foundations.
The guidance allows recipients of qualified disaster relief payments to exclude those payments from income on their tax returns. In addition, the guidance allows employer-sponsored private foundations to assist employee victims in areas affected by the March 2011 earthquake and tsunami in Japan without affecting their tax-exempt status
This guidance does not affect individuals interested in contributing to victims of the Japan earthquake and tsunami. The IRS reminds taxpayers that there are some simple steps they can take to ensure that their contributions go to charities eligible to receive tax-deductible contributions. The IRS has posted more information on IRS.gov.
2. Sharpen Your Skills: Attend a Workshop for Small and Mid-size 501(c)(3) Organizations
Sharpen your exempt organizations management and tax compliance skills this Spring. Register now to attend one of our Spring workshops for small and mid-size 501(c)(3) organizations:
- Houston, TX: April 19-21
- Billings, MT: April 26, hosted by Montana State University - Billings
- Helena, MT: April 28, hosted by Carroll College
- Denver, CO: May 24-26
Click on the links above to find registration information for each location.
Each one-day workshop, presented by experienced Exempt Organizations specialists, will explain what 501(c)(3) organizations must do to keep their tax-exempt status and comply with tax obligations. This popular introductory workshop is designed especially for administrators or volunteers who are responsible for an organization's tax compliance as well as those interested in careers in the nonprofit sector.
Go to our Calendar of Events for more information about upcoming workshops and other outreach events.
3. Registration is Open for the 2011 IRS Nationwide Tax Forums
Registration is now open for the 2011 IRS Nationwide Tax Forums.
The IRS Nationwide Tax Forums offer three full days of seminars with the latest word from IRS leadership and experts in the fields of tax law, compliance and ethics where attendees can earn up to 18 continuing professional education credits.
IRS Exempt Organizations (EO) will present a seminar, A Day in the Life of an Exempt Organization’s Audit, at this year's forums. This seminar will address the EO examination process, how an EO audit may differ from other IRS audits and how to prepare for the EO audit.
In addition, EO will present multiple sessions of its popular Form 990 Workshop at each forum location The 2011 Form 990 Workshop will present helpful ideas for successful preparation of the form and will emphasize areas of the form that have generated questions since the 2008 redesign.
Below are the locations, dates and the pre-registration deadlines for the 2011 IRS Nationwide Tax Forums:
- Atlanta, Georgia June 28-30 (Register by June 14)
- Orlando, Florida July 12-14 (Register by June 28)
- Dallas, Texas July 26-28 (Register by July 12)
- San Jose, California August 9-11 (Register by July 26)
- Las Vegas, Nevada August 16-18 (Register by August 2)
- Washington DC, National Harbor August 30-September 1(Register by August 16)
To register, visit the Nationwide Tax Forums website.
4. IRS Has New Videos About Creating Preparer Tax Identification Numbers (PTINs)
New videos are available to help tax return preparers create a PTIN account and to get a PTIN. The two tutorials also address ways to troubleshoot potential errors when creating an account or applying for a PTIN. The videos are available at the IRS YouTube channel, under the "How To" playlist or at these links for TUTORIAL Part 1: Create a PTIN Account and TUTORIAL Part 2: Get a PTIN.
5. New Guidance on Section 403(b) Plan Terminations
Some 501(c)(3) organizations sponsor section 403(b) tax-sheltered annuity plans. The IRS recently issued Revenue Ruling 2011-7, which provides examples of how to terminate a 403(b) retirement plan funded in different ways and explains when distributions from the terminated plan are taxable. For additional information, see this informative Employee Plans News article.
6. IRS Releases 2010 Data Book
The IRS announced the release of the 2010 IRS Data Book, an annual snapshot of agency activities for the fiscal year. The report describes activities conducted by the IRS in the year ended September 30, 2010. It includes information about returns filed, tax collections, enforcement and taxpayer assistance, as well as the IRS budget and workforce. An electronic version of the 2010 IRS Data Book is available on the Tax Stats page of IRS.gov.