EO Update December 10, 2009
Issue Number: 2009-17
Inside This Issue:
- IRS Offers Tips for Year-End Donations
- Exempt Organization Return Due Dates
- Examination Materials Developed for Study of Exempt Organization Governance Now Available
- Treasury and IRS Announce Priority Guidance Plan
- Register Now for Spring Workshops for Small and Mid-Sized 501(c)(3) Organizations
- New Statistical Data on Charities and Other Nonprofits
1. IRS Offers Tips for Year-End Donations
IR-2009-144 provides useful information and resources for individuals and businesses making year-end donations, including information about recent tax law changes and reminders about the proper reporting of charitable contributions.
2. Exempt Organization Return Due Dates
Do you know when your exempt organization's returns are due? Use these useful tables on IRS.gov to learn the due dates of the various returns and reports filed by exempt organizations.
3. Examination Materials Developed for Study of Exempt Organization Governance Now Available
The IRS has developed a check sheet to be used by IRS Exempt Organizations agents to capture data about the governance practices and the related internal controls of organizations under examination. The data collected will be included in a long-term study to gain a better understanding of the intersection between governance practices and tax compliance. The check sheet and related materials are now available on the IRS Charities and Nonprofits Web site.
4. Treasury and IRS Issue 2009-2010 Priority Guidance Plan
Each year the Treasury Department's Office of Tax Policy and IRS identify and prioritize the tax issues that should be addressed through regulations and other published guidance. The Priority Guidance Plan for 2009-2010 includes a number of items of interest to tax-exempt organizations.
5. Register Now for Spring 2010 Workshops for Small and Mid-Sized 501(c)(3) Organization
These introductory one-day workshops, designed for administrators or volunteers responsible for an organization's tax compliance, will be held in Atlanta, GA (March 2-4), Sacramento, CA (March 16-18) and Seattle, WA (May 11-13). Get more information and register on-line.
6. New Data on Charities and Other Nonprofits
The Fall 2009 issue of the IRS Statistics of Income Bulletin includes a number of articles of interest to the Exempt Organizations community. Articles include Domestic Private Foundations and Charitable Trusts: Tax Years 2005 and 2006; Charities, Business Leagues and Other Tax-Exempt Organizations, 2006; and Tax-Exempt Bonds, 2007.