EO Update February 8, 2012
Issue Number: 2012-3
Inside This Issue
- EO Releases FY 2011 Annual Report and FY 2012 Work Plan
- Guidance on Requirements for Tax-Exempt 501(c)(29) Qualified Non-Profit Health Insurers
- EO's 2012 Graduate Student Summer Internship Applications Due March 2
- EO Seeks Academic Hosts for Workshops for Small and Medium-Sized 501(c)(3) Organizations
1. EO Releases FY 2011 Annual Report and FY 2012 Work Plan
EO has posted its FY 2011 Annual Report and FY 2012 Work Plan on irs.gov/charities. This document provides a snapshot of EOâ€™s accomplishments from the past year and profiles projects planned for the current year.
FY 2012 highlights include:
- Launch of Select Check, a new application that consolidates three separate charities search pages into a single entry point on IRS.gov
- Development of risk models to guide compliance using 990 information
- Final stage of EOâ€™s 3-year research project that will correlate taxpayer preferences and EOâ€™s outreach
- A questionnaire to learn more about group exemptions
2. Guidance on Requirements for Tax-Exempt 501(c)(29) Qualified Non-Profit Health Insurers
The Affordable Care Act requires the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to establish the Consumer Operated and Oriented Plan program (CO-OP program). It also provides for tax exemption for recipients of CO-OP program grants and loans that meet additional requirements under section 501(c)(29).
Revenue Procedure 2012-11, issued in conjunction with temporary regulations and a notice of proposed rulemaking, sets out the procedures for issuing determination letters and rulings on the exempt status of organizations applying for recognition of exemption under 501(c)(29).
3. Reminder: EO's 2012 Graduate Student Summer Internship Applications Due March 2
IRS Exempt Organizations is recruiting graduate students for its 2012 summer internship program. This unpaid opportunity gives participants the chance to enhance their understanding of how EO works and increase their knowledge of the Federal tax code.
Detailed information about the internship, including the application form, can be found on the AII page on IRS.gov. All completed forms should be emailed to email@example.com or faxed to 202-283-9848 in care of Pilar Jarrin no later than Friday, March 2.
4. EO Seeks Academic Hosts for Workshops for Small and Medium-Sized 501(c)(3) Organizations
EO Customer Education & Outreach is seeking academic partners to host workshops for small and medium-sized nonprofit organizations for the second half of the 2012 fiscal year (June-September 2012 ).
If you are interested, please contact Pilar Jarrin at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-283-8946.
Dates and Locations for Upcoming Workshops
Each one-day workshop, presented by experienced Exempt Organizations specialists, will explain what 501(c)(3) organizations must do to keep their tax-exempt status and comply with tax obligations.
This popular introductory workshop is designed especially for administrators or volunteers who are responsible for an organization's tax compliance as well as those interested in careers in the nonprofit sector.
To register, click on the city of your choice. Registration is now available for the following workshop locations:
- Bloomington IN (February 28) and Indianapolis, IN (February 29) hosted by the Indiana University - Bloomington School of Public and Environmental Affairs and the Center on Philanthropy at Indiana University
- South Orange, NJ (March 14) hosted by Seton Hall University
- Glassboro, NJ (March 15) hosted by Rowan University
- San Diego, CA (April 24), hosted by University of San Diego - Nonprofit Leadership & Management Program
- San Francisco, CA (April 26), hosted by San Francisco State University - Nonprofit Management Certificate Program