EO Update July 23, 2009
Issue Number: 2009-10
Inside This Issue
- Governance and Tax-Exempt Organizations
- "e-Postcard" Final Regulations Published
- Guidance Issued on Reliance Criteria for Private Foundations and Sponsoring Organizations of Donor Advised Funds
- Tax Preparer Review: Public Forums to Gather Input This Summer
- Charities and Nonprofits Web Site Improvements
- Register Now for Workshops for Small and Mid-Sized 501(c)(3) Organizations
1. Governance and Tax-Exempt Organizations
Materials used as part of a continuing education program for IRS Exempt Organizations personnel on governance and tax-exempt organizations are now available on IRS.gov.
2. "e-Postcard" Final Regulations Published
The IRS and Treasury Department have issued final regulations clarifying how and when certain small tax-exempt organizations must file the annual electronic notice. The final regulations finalize the temporary regulations without substantive change. For additional information about the e-Postcard filing requirement, visit IRS.gov.
3. Guidance Issued on Reliance Criteria for Private Foundations and Sponsoring Organizations of Donor Advised Funds
Revenue Procedure 2009-32 provides reliance criteria for private foundations and sponsoring organizations of donor advised funds in determining the public charity status of grantees under section 509(a)(1), (2), or (3) of the IRC. The appropriate classification of grantees is important for purposes of determining potential excise tax liability.
4. Tax Preparer Review: Public Forums to Gather Input This Summer
A series of public forums, part of an effort launched by IRS Commissioner Shulman to help ensure tax preparers are qualified, ethical and provide a high level of service, will kick off on July 30 at the Ronald Reagan Building in Washington, D.C. The forums will allow individuals and representatives of diverse constituent groups to provide input on tax preparer performance standards. Learn more on IRS.gov.
5. Charities and Nonprofits Web Site Improvement
We're listening! Thank you for your many suggestions on how to improve the Charities and Nonprofits portion of IRS.gov. Check out the most recent improvements we've made. Search IRS written determinations by topic, number or issue code; search the Internal Revenue Code using a list of EO Code provisions to guide you; and use a list of EO regulations to help you search the Federal tax regulations.
6. Register Now for Fall Workshops for Small and Mid-Sized 501(c)(3) Organizations
These introductory one-day workshops, designed for administrators or volunteers responsible for an organization's tax compliance, will be held in Indianapolis, IN (September 15, 16, and 17) and Philadelphia, PA (October 6, 7. and 8).