EO Update October 21, 2011
Issue Number: 2011-17
Inside This Issue
- Tax-Exempt Organizations Participating in the Medicare Shared Savings Program through Accountable Care Organizations
- Earn CPE Credits at Nationwide Tax Forums Online
- IRS Issues Guidance on Inflation Adjustments for 2012
- Register Now for Fall Workshops for Small and Medium-Sized 501(c)(3) Organizations
1. Tax-Exempt Organizations Participating in the Medicare Shared Savings Organizations Through Accountable Care Organizations
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services has released final regulations describing the rules for the Medicare Shared Savings Program (Shared Savings Program) and accountable care organizations (ACOs).
Notice 2011-20, 2011‑16 I.R.B. 652 (April 18, 2011), summarized how the IRS expects existing IRS guidance may apply to § 501(c)(3) organizations, such as charitable hospitals, participating in the Shared Savings Program through ACOs. The IRS released Fact Sheet 2011-11 confirming that Notice 2011-20 continues to reflect IRS expectations regarding the Shared Savings Program and ACOs, and providing additional information for charitable organizations that may wish to participate in the Shared Savings Program. For more information, see the CMS website.
2. Earn CPE Credits at IRS Nationwide Tax Forums Online
Tax professionals can earn continuing professional education credits online through seminars filmed at the 2011 IRS Nationwide Tax Forums. The seminars are now available on the IRS Nationwide Tax Forums Online (NTFO). The 14 self-study seminars provide information to tax professionals using interactive videos synchronized with slides. Each seminar includes downloadable PowerPoint slides and a transcript. NTFO seminars can also be audited for free.
In addition to the recently-added seminars, NTFO offers over 30 other seminars from prior year IRS Nationwide Tax Forums from 2008 through 2010 (some seminars are only available for audit).
3. IRS Issues Guidance on Inflation Adjustments for 2012
Revenue Procedure 2011-52 sets forth inflation adjusted items for 2012, including a number of items of interest to tax-exempt organizations, including adjustments affecting the treatment of:
- dues paid to agricultural or horticultural organizations
- insubstantial benefit limitations for contributions associated with charitable fundraising campaigns and
- the reporting exception for certain exempt organizations with nondeductible lobbying expenditures.
4. Register Now for Fall Workshops for Small and Medium Sized 501(c)(3) Organizations
Don't miss our final fall 2011 workshops for small and medium-sized 501(c)(3) organizations.
Each one-day workshop, presented by experienced Exempt Organizations specialists, will explain what 501(c)(3) organizations must do to keep their tax-exempt status and comply with tax obligations. This popular introductory workshop is designed especially for administrators or volunteers who are responsible for an organization's tax compliance as well as those interested in careers in the nonprofit sector.
Registration is now available for:
- November 1, 2011 in St. Louis, MO, hosted by University of Missouri, St. Louis
- November 3, 2011 in Springfield, MO, hosted by Missouri State University.
Information about February workshops in Bloomington and Indianapolis, Indiana, hosted by the Indiana University - Bloomington School of Public and Environmental Affairs and the Center on Philanthropy at Indiana University is coming soon.