EO Update October 4, 2011
Issue Number: 2011-16
Inside This Issue
- Webinar: Reporting Employer Health Care Coverage on Form W-2
- New Voluntary Worker Classification Settlement Program
- Western Conference on Tax-Exempt Organizations
- Register Now for Workshops for Small and Medium-Sized 501(c)(3) Organizations
- Political Organization Filing System Unavailable October 8-10
- Reminder: Renew PTINs Beginning October 15
- New Guidance on Church Plan Determination Letter Requests
1. Webinar: Reporting Employer Health Care Coverage on Form W-2
An October 31 webinar will explain the Affordable Care Act provision that requires some employers to report health care coverage on Form W-2.
- IR 2011-31, IRS Issues Interim Guidance on Information Reporting of Employer-Sponsored Health Coverage
- Employer-Provided Health Coverage Informational Reporting Requirements: Frequently Asked Questions
2. New Voluntary Worker Classification Settlement Program
The IRS has launched a new program that will enable many employers, including tax-exempt employers, to resolve past worker classification issues and come back into compliance by making a minimal payment covering past payroll tax obligations rather than waiting for an IRS audit.
To be eligible for the new Voluntary Classification Settlement Program an applicant must:
- Consistently have treated the workers as non-employees in the past
- Have filed all required Forms 1099 for the workers for the previous three years
- Not currently be under audit by the IRS, Department of Labor or a state agency concerning the classification of these workers.
Full details, including FAQs, will be available on the Employment Tax Pages of IRS.gov and in Announcement 2011-64.
3. Western Conference on Tax- Exempt Organizations
The annual Western Conference on Tax-Exempt Organizations will be held on November 17 & 18, 2011 at the Los Angeles Downtown Marriott Hotel on South Figueroa Street in Los Angeles, CA. The two-day program for tax professionals and organization executives is jointly sponsored by IRS Exempt Organizations and Loyola Law School. Register by October 21 to qualify for the "early bird" registration fee.
4. Register Now for Workshops for Small and Medium-Sized 501(c)(3) Organizations
Plan to attend one of Exempt Organization's popular workshops for small and medium-sized 501(c)(3) organizations this fall.
Each one-day workshop, presented by experienced Exempt Organizations specialists, will explain what 501(c)(3) organizations must do to keep their tax-exempt status and comply with tax obligations. This popular introductory workshop is designed especially for administrators or volunteers who are responsible for an organization's tax compliance as well as those interested in careers in the nonprofit sector.
Registration is now available for:
- November 1, 2011 in St. Louis, MO, hosted by University of Missouri, St. Louis
- November 3, 2011 in Springfield, MO, hosted by Missouri State University.
Information about February workshops in Bloomington and Indianapolis, Indiana, hosted by the Indiana University - Bloomington School of Public and Environmental Affairs and the Center on Philanthropy at Indiana University is coming soon.
5. Political Organization Filing System Unavailable October 8 -10
The Political Organization Filing and Disclosure application will be unavailable from 8:00 am EST on Saturday, October 8, 2011 through Monday, October 10, 2011, at 12:00 pm (noon) EST. The POFD login and search functions will not be operational during the shutdown, which is necessary in order to install routine patches and make firewall upgrades.
6. Reminder: Renew PTINs Beginning October 15
Attention return preparers! Don't forget to renew your PTIN on time. Notice 2011-80 provides that PTINs must now be renewed on a calendar year basis. All PTIN holders must renew their numbers using the online PTIN application or paper Form W-12 and pay the required fee ($64.25 for 2012) after October 15 and before January 1 annually.
For more information about PTINs and other return preparer requirements visit IRS.gov.
7. New Guidance on Church Plan Determination Letter Requests
Revenue Procedure 2011-44 modifies the procedures for filing a church plan determination letter request. The revenue procedure provides that plan participants and other interested parties must be notified of the determination letter request.