Notice of termination
The notice of termination of private foundation status via operation as a public charity should include:
- The name and address of the private foundation,
- Its intention to terminate its private foundation status,
- The Code section under which it seeks classification (section 509(a)(1), (2), or (3)),
- If section 509(a)(1) applies, the specific type of section 170(b)(1)(A) organization for which it seeks classification,
- The date its regular tax year begins, and
- The date the 60-month period begins.
The organization must also submit Form 872-B, agreeing to extend the statute of limitations for paying foundation excise taxes until after the end of the 60-month period. If it does not do so, it must pay the taxes on its investment income during the period.
Send the notice to Exempt Organizations Determinations.
Return to Life Cycle of a Private Foundation