ITG FAQ #7 Answer-What is an "enterprise zone business"?
A corporation, partnership, or sole proprietorship is an enterprise zone business for tax years beginning after August 4, 1997, if all of the following statements are true for the tax year:
- Every trade or business of the corporation or partnership is the active conduct of a qualified business within an empowerment zone (this rule does not apply to the sole proprietorship);
- At least 50% of its total gross income is from the active conduct of a qualified business within a zone;
- A substantial part of the use of its tangible property is within a zone;
- A substantial part of its intangible property is used in the active conduct of the business;
- A substantial part of the employees' services are performed within a zone;
- At least 35% of the employees are residents of an empowerment zone (this rule does not apply to businesses in the DC Zone); and
- Less than 5% of the average of the total unadjusted basis of the property owned by the business is from:
-Certain financial property, or
-Collectibles not held primarily for sale to customers.