Like - Click this link to Add this page to your bookmarks Share - Click this link to Share this page through email or social media Print - Click this link to Print this page
Child Tax Credit
Question: Can I claim both the child tax credit and the child and dependent care credit?
You can claim both the child tax credit and the child and dependent care credit on the same return if you qualify for both credits.
- If you qualify for one or both credits, you can claim the credits on Form 1040 (.pdf) or Form 1040A (.pdf), U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. In addition, to claim the dependent care credit, you must complete Form 2441 (.pdf), Child and Dependent Care Expenses.
- Search "Child tax credits" in the index to the Instructions for Form 1040 or the Instructions for Form 1040A. The instructions explain who qualifies for the child tax credit and how to calculate it.
- If you are claiming the child tax credit for a dependent child who has an ITIN, complete Part I of Schedule 8812 (Form 1040A or 1040) (.pdf), Child Tax Credit, and attach it to your Form 1040, 1040A or 1040NR (.pdf), U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return.
- The Instructions for Form 2441 (.pdf) explain who qualifies for the dependent care credit and how to calculate it.
- Can You Claim the Child and Dependent Care Credit?
- Am I Eligible for the Child Tax Credit?
- Publication 503, Child and Dependent Care Expenses
- Publication 972, Child Tax Credit
- Publication 17, Your Federal Income Tax for Individuals
Category: Child Care Credit, Other Credits
Subcategory: Child Tax Credit