IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Age/Name/SSN Rejects, Errors, Correction Procedures

Question: My electronic tax return keeps getting rejected for a dependent's social security number used more than once or on another return. I have verified the social security numbers of all my dependents with the Social Security Administration and no one else is authorized to claim our children on their taxes. How do I correct this error so that an e-file return will go through?


We apologize for the inconvenience this is causing you. This following scenario appears to fit your circumstances:

  • The social security number in question also appears as a dependent on another tax return for this same year.
  • Whether the cause of this rejection is the result of a typo on another return, or an attempt by another party to claim a dependent using your dependent's social security number, the IRS has security measures in place to ensure the accuracy of returns submitted.
  • The IRS will question the dependency exemptions claimed by any other party using the wrong social security number.
  • If you have verified this dependent's social security number and found no errors, unfortunately you need to file a paper return.
  • Do not attach any information or documents that are not required with your return; if needed the IRS will contact you by mail for any supporting documentation.

Additional Information:

Category: Electronic Filing (e-file)
Subcategory: Age, Name or SSN Rejects, Errors, Correction Procedures

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224