Like Share Print
Filing Requirements, Status, Dependents, Exemptions
Top Frequently Asked Questions for Filing Requirements, Status, Dependents, Exemptions
- How much does an unmarried dependent student have to make before he or she has to file an income tax return?
- For head of household filing status, do you have to claim a child as a dependent to qualify?
- Is there an age limit on claiming my child as a dependent?
- My spouse and I are filing as married filing separately. We both contributed to the support of our son. Can we both claim a dependency exemption for him on our separate returns?
- Are child support payments deductible by the payer or can the payer claim an exemption for the child?
- If I claim my daughter as a dependent because she is a full-time college student, can she claim her own personal exemption when she files her return?
- Can a court order determine who may claim a dependency exemption for a child? Does the court order supersede the requirements under Federal tax law?
- I am divorced with one child. This year my ex-spouse, who is the noncustodial parent, will claim an exemption for the child. Can I qualify as head of household?
- I am adopting a child and do not yet have a social security number for the child. How can I claim an exemption for the child?
- My spouse and I have provided a home for my niece and her son for the past seven months. She receives no child support from her ex-spouse, and she does not work or have any income of her own. Can I claim both her and her son as dependents?