Like Share Print
Education & Work-Related Expenses
Question: May I claim both my job-related education expenses (minus 2% of AGI) and one of the education credits on my tax return?
You cannot use the same educational expenses to claim both benefits (no "double benefit").
- You may choose to allocate some of your expenses to the deduction and others to the credit.
- This can be desirable because a qualifying expense for one benefit may not be a qualifying expense for the other tax benefit. For example, the cost of course-related books ordinarily qualifies for the deduction, but not for the lifetime learning credit, unless paid to the institution as a condition of enrollment or attendance. For tax years 2009 - 2017 course-related books may qualify for the American opportunity tax credit.
- Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education
- Tax Topic 513, Educational Expenses
- Form 8863 (PDF), Education Credits (American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning Credits)
Category: Itemized Deductions, Standard Deductions
Subcategory: Education & Work Related Expenses