Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
To search the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs), enter your search terms or questions in the box below.
Top Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the tax changes for this year?
- Is there an age limit on claiming my child as a dependent?
- How much does an unmarried dependent student have to make before he or she has to file an income tax return?
- If I claim my daughter as a dependent because she is a full-time college student, can she claim herself as a dependent when she files her return?
- Can I receive a tax refund if I am currently making payments under an installment agreement or payment plan for a prior year's federal taxes?
- For head of household filing status, do you have to claim a child as a dependent to qualify?
- What should I do if I made a mistake on my federal return that I have already filed?
- What is a split refund?
- How do I know if I have to file quarterly individual estimated tax payments?
- I retired last year, and started receiving social security payments. Do I have to pay taxes on my social security benefits?
Frequently Asked Question Categories
- IRS Procedures
- Filing Requirements, Status, Dependents, Exemptions
- Itemized Deductions, Standard Deductions
- Interest, Dividends, Other Types of Income
- Retirement Plans
- Social Security Income
- Child Care Credit, Other Credits
- Earned Income Tax Credit
- Estimated Tax
- Capital Gains, Losses, Sale of Home
- Sale or Trade of Business, Depreciation, Rentals
- Small Business, Self Employed, Other Business
- U.S. Aliens and Citizens Living Abroad
- Electronic Filing (e file)
- Electronic Filers
- Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs)
Recent Developments for Tax Forms, Instructions, and Publications
Each year we update the answers to reflect the latest changes in tax regulations.
Additional Information by Tax Topics
These Tax Topics contain general individual and business tax information.
Additional Information by Tax Trails
Tax Trails is an interactive session which poses questions that you can answer by selecting Yes or No.