IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Child Tax Credit

Question: Can I claim the child tax credit for a child who has an individual tax identification number (ITIN) rather than a Social Security number?


Yes, you can claim the child tax credit for a child with an ITIN if you otherwise qualify.

  • Search "Child tax credits" in the index to the Instructions for Form 1040 or Instructions for Form 1040A for an explanation of who qualifies for the child tax credit and how to calculate it.
  • Additionally, the child must not have attained age 17 by the end of the tax year and be either a citizen, national or resident of the United States.
  • Attach Schedule 8812 (Form 1040A or 1040) (.pdf), Child Tax Credit, to Form 1040 (.pdf), 1040A (.pdf), U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, or 1040NR (.pdf), U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return.

For information on an ITIN, refer to Social Security Numbers for Dependents in Publication 501, Exemptions, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information.

Additional Information:

Category: Child Care Credit, Other Credits
Subcategory: Child Tax Credit

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224