IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled

Question: Can I claim the credit for the elderly or the permanently and totally disabled?


If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, you may qualify for this credit if before the end of 2014 —

  • you were age 65 or older; or
  • you retired on permanent and total disability and have taxable disability income.

Even if you meet the above tests, you cannot claim the credit if either of the following exceed certain amounts:

  • your adjusted gross income; or
  • the total of your nontaxable Social Security, nontaxable pensions, nontaxable annuities and nontaxable disability income.

Additional Information:

Category: Child Care Credit, Other Credits
Subcategory: Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224