IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Education Credits

Question: If the amount of my qualified tuition and related expenses is greater than the amount of my scholarship, may I claim the excess expenses on Form 8863?


Yes, fill out Form 8863 (.pdf), Education Credits (American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning Credits).

  • You must reduce the total qualified expenses by the amount of any tax-free educational assistance.
  • Do not reduce the qualified expenses by amounts paid with the student's earnings, loans, gifts, inheritances or personal savings.
  • Also, do not reduce the qualified expenses by any scholarship reported as income on the student's return or any scholarship that by its terms cannot be applied to qualified tuition and related expenses.

Additional Information:

Category: Child Care Credit, Other Credits
Subcategory: Education Credits

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224