IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Other EITC Issues

Question: Can Form 1040EZ be used to claim the earned income credit?


You can use Form 1040EZ (PDF) when claiming the earned income credit only if you do not have a qualifying child and your investment income is $3,300 or less (for 2013). Your investment income is the total amount of interest from line 2 of Form 1040EZ and any tax-exempt interest.

  • If you do not meet the requirements for filing Form 1040EZ, you must use Form 1040A (PDF) or Form 1040 (PDF), however, if your investment income is more than $3,300, you cannot claim the earned income credit.

Additional Information:

Category: Earned Income Tax Credit
Subcategory: Other EITC Issues

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224