Like Share Print
Age/Name/SSN Rejects, Errors, Correction Procedures
Question: My electronic tax return keeps getting rejected for a dependent's social security number used more than once or on another return. I have verified the social security numbers of all my dependents with the Social Security Administration and no one else is authorized to claim our children on their taxes. How do I correct this error so that an e-file return will go through?
We apologize for the inconvenience this is causing you. This following scenario appears to fit your circumstances:
- The social security number in question also appears as a dependent on another tax return for this same year.
- Whether the cause of this rejection is the result of a typo on another return, or an attempt by another party to claim a dependent using your dependent's social security number, the IRS has security measures in place to ensure the accuracy of returns submitted.
- The IRS will question the dependency exemptions claimed by any other party using the wrong social security number.
- If you have verified this dependent's social security number and found no errors, unfortunately you need to file a paper return.
- Do not attach any information or documents that are not required with your return; if needed the IRS will contact you by mail for any supporting documentation.
Category: Electronic Filing (e file)
Subcategory: Age, Name or SSN Rejects, Errors, Correction Procedures