Like - Click this link to Add this page to your bookmarks Share - Click this link to Share this page through email or social media Print - Click this link to Print this page
Due Dates & Extension Dates for e-file
Question: I don't owe taxes. Can I file electronically after April 15?
- Electronically filed tax returns are accepted until November 23.
- If April 15 does not fall on a weekend or legal holiday, you must file Form 4868 (PDF), Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, on or before April 15 for your return to be considered timely if filed after April 15.
- If April 15 falls on a weekend or legal holiday, you have until midnight the next business day following April 15 to timely file either Form 4868 or your tax return.
- If you timely file Form 4868, you have until October 15 to timely file your return.
- If you do not timely file Form 4868, you may be subject to a failure-to-file penalty if you file your return after April 15 (or after the next business day following April 15, if April 15 falls on a weekend or legal holiday).
Category: Electronic Filing (e-file)
Subcategory: Due Dates & Extension Dates for e-file