IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Dependents & Exemptions

Question: My son was born on December 31. Can I claim him as a dependent? If so, will he be also qualified for the child tax credit?


If your child was born alive during the year, and the dependency tests are met, you may claim him as a dependent and take the full exemption.

  • You may be entitled to a child tax credit for him.
  • Please refer to Publication 501, Exemptions, Standard Deduction and Filing Information.
  • Refer to the Instructions for Form 1040 (PDF) for information about the child tax credit.

Category: Filing Requirements, Status, Dependents, Exemptions
Subcategory: Dependents & Exemptions

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224