IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Dependents & Exemptions

Question: My daughter was born at the end of the year. We are still waiting for a social security number. Can I send in my return and later supply her social security number?


If you file your return claiming your daughter as a dependent and do not provide her social security number on the return, the dependency exemption will be disallowed.

You have two options.

You could file your income tax return without claiming your daughter as a dependent.

  • After you receive her social security number, you could then amend your return on Form 1040X (PDF), Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.
  • You have three years (including extensions) after the date you filed your original return or within 2 years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later, to amend the return.

The other option is to file a Form 4868 (PDF), Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

  • This would give you an additional six months to file your return; by then you should have your daughter's social security number.

Category: Filing Requirements, Status, Dependents, Exemptions
Subcategory: Dependents & Exemptions

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224