Like - Click this link to Add this page to your bookmarks Share - Click this link to Share this page through email or social media Print - Click this link to Print this page
Amended Returns & Form 1040X
Question: I received my refund, and because I made a mistake on my return, it is more than I should have received. I have not yet cashed this check. What should I do now?
Since the mistake was not caught and corrected during processing and you did not receive a letter of explanation showing a change, you need to:
- File an amended or corrected return using Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, as soon as possible.
- Include copies of any schedules that are changing and/or any Form(s) W-2 you did not include on the original return.
- You should return the refund check with a letter of explanation submitted with your amended return; when the IRS finishes processing the amended return, the IRS will issue a new refund check.
- Write "Void" in the endorsement section of the check when you return the check with your amended return.
- Allow the IRS up to 16 weeks to process the amended return.
- Instructions for Form 1040X (.pdf), Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return
- Tax Topic 308 - Amended Returns
Category: IRS Procedures
Subcategory: Amended Returns & Form 1040X