IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Collection Procedural Questions

Question: I am unable to pay my delinquent taxes. Will the IRS accept an Offer in Compromise?


You may qualify for an Offer in Compromise if you are unable to pay your taxes in full or if you are facing economic hardship or other special circumstances.

Note: Offer in Compromise Application Fee - Your offer must include the $186 application fee. If you are requesting a low-income exception of the fee, you must complete section 4 of the Form 656, Offer in Compromise. Form 656 can be found in Form 656-B (PDF), Offer in Compromise Booklet.

Offers received without the $186 fee or a completed section 4 of the Form 656 will not be accepted for processing.  Please see Step 6 on Page 4 of the Form 656-B (PDF), for more information on the required initial payment and application fee, and section 4 of the Form 656 to determine if you qualify for the low-income exception.  Please also see Steps 2 and 3 on Page 4 of the Form 656-B to determine whether your application must include either a completed Form 433-A (OIC) (PDF), Collection Information Statement for Wage Earners and Self-Employed Individuals, or Form 433-B (OIC) (PDF), Collection Information Statement for Businesses.

  • If you are not granted an Offer-in-Compromise and you are unable to pay your delinquent taxes in full at this time, you still may be eligible for an installment agreement.  For example, you can file Form 433-D (PDF), Installment Agreement, which is a request for a direct debit installment agreement.  The user fee for that is $52.  Refer to Tax Topic 202 - Tax Payment Options, for more information on paying in installments.
  • If you default on your installment agreement, you must pay a $50 reinstatement fee if we reinstate the agreement.
  • Refer to Tax Topic 204 - Offers in Compromise, for additional information.

Category: IRS Procedures
Subcategory: Collection Procedural Questions

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224