IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

For Caregivers

Question: My parent transferred to me the title of his/her home. Do I need to report this transaction to the IRS?


Yes. If certain conditions apply, this transaction would be considered a taxable gift from your parent to you.

Generally, your parent must file a gift tax return (Form 709 (PDF)) if any of the following apply:

  • Your parent gave gifts to at least one person (other than his/her spouse) that are more than the annual exclusion for the year. For 2013, the annual exclusion was $14,000 and remains at $14,000 for 2014.
  • Your parent and his/her spouse are splitting a gift.
  • Your parent gave someone (other than his/her spouse) a gift of a future interest that he or she cannot actually possess, enjoy, or receive income from until some time in the future.
  • Your parent gave his/her spouse an interest in property that will be ended by some future event.

Note:  If any of the above conditions apply, your parent is required to file a Form 709, even if a gift tax is not payable.  See the Instructions for Form 709 (PDF), United States Gift (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Tax Return, and Publication 559, Survivors, Executors, and Administrators, for additional information on gifts.

Category: IRS Procedures
Subcategory: For Caregivers

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224