IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

General Procedural Questions

Question: What should I do if I'm concerned because my check for payment to the IRS has not been cashed yet?


You should check first with your financial institution to verify that your check has not cleared your account before you contact the IRS.

If it has been at least two weeks since the payment was sent to the IRS and your financial institution verifies that the check has not cleared your account, you can call the IRS toll-free number at 800-829-1040 to ask if the payment has been credited to your account.

If the payment has not been credited and your check has not cleared, you may choose to place a stop payment order on the original check and send another payment.

Payment methods:

  • Online payment at the EFTPS website or call 800-316-6541 if enrolled.
  • Make a credit or debit card payment by calling:
    • 888-729-1040, 
    • 888-972-9829, 
    • 855-972-9829, 
    • 888-872-9829, or 
    • 866-964-2552.  
    • For more information on paying your taxes with a credit or debit card, go to the Electronic Payment Options Home Page
  • Mail a check or money order payment to the service center where you sent in your tax return.

Make the check or money order payable to:

  • United States Treasury

Provide the following information with your check or money order:

  • Name
  • Address
  • Primary social security number
  • Tax year
  • Tax form filed
  • Daytime phone number

Category: IRS Procedures
Subcategory: General Procedural Questions

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224