IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

1099-MISC, Independent Contractors, and Self-Employed

Question: I received a Form 1099-MISC with an amount in box 7 for nonemployee compensation. What forms and schedules should I use to report income earned as an independent contractor?


Independent contractors report their income on Schedule C (Form 1040) (PDF), Profit or Loss from Business (Sole Proprietorship), however you may qualify to use Schedule C-EZ (Form 1040) (PDF), Net Profit from Business (Sole Proprietorship).

  • You should also be aware of Schedule SE (Form 1040) (PDF), Self-Employment Tax, which must be filed if net earnings from self-employment are $400 or more. This form is used to figure your social security and Medicare tax which is based on your net self-employment income.
  • You may need to make estimated tax payments. Refer to Form 1040-ES (PDF), Estimated Tax for Individuals, for more details on who must pay estimated tax.  If you need to make estimated tax payments and do not pay them timely, you may also need to file Form 2210 (PDF), Underpayment of Estimated Tax by Individuals, Estates & Trusts.

Additional Information:

Category: Interest, Dividends, Other Types of Income
Subcategory: 1099 MISC, Independent Contractors, and Self Employed

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224