IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

1099-MISC, Independent Contractors, and Self-Employed

Question: What, if any, quarterly forms must I file to report income as an independent contractor?


Because you generally will have no taxes withheld from your income, you may need to make quarterly estimated tax payments.  For information on estimated tax payments, refer to Form 1040-ES (PDF), Estimated Tax for Individuals.

Note: Be aware that there may also be state and local requirements for estimated tax payments.  You may want to go to your state's individual website for additional information.  To access information for your state, go to our State Government Websites page.

Additional Information:

Category: Interest, Dividends, Other Types of Income
Subcategory: 1099 MISC, Independent Contractors, and Self Employed

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224