IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Other Deduction Questions

Question: My housemate and I, both the legal owners, pay our mortgage from our joint account. The monthly mortgage payment also covers the real estate taxes on our home. The Form 1098 and property tax statement came only in my name and social security number. How do we split these payments of interest and taxes so we can both claim them on our separate Schedules A?


Generally, to deduct an item on Schedule A (Form 1040) (PDF), Itemized Deductions, you must have been legally obligated to pay the expense and the expense must have been paid during the year. Even though two unmarried individuals may both be the legal owners of the home and pay the mortgage equally or from common funds, the lender will normally send out only one Form 1098 (PDF), Mortgage Interest Statement. Additionally, the local taxing authority may only provide a receipt in one taxpayer’s name.

Taxpayers must take care in not deducting the same expenses on two separate returns. They must determine the proportionate share of deductions based upon all facts and circumstances and apply the $1 million and the $100,000 limitations to the entire residence or residences as well as to each taxpayer.  If each taxpayer paid one-half of the expenses, then their Schedule A should reflect this. Please attach a statement to both your Schedules A explaining how you are dividing the mortgage interest and payments of real estate taxes.  The person, who did not receive the Form 1098, will have to list the mortgage interest they are claiming on line 11 of Schedule A.

As the information reported will not match the records submitted to the Service, please ensure that you keep your records on your split of the deductions for the mandatory review period.

Category: Itemized Deductions, Standard Deductions
Subcategory: Other Deduction Questions

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224