IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Sales, Trades, Exchanges

Question: What form(s) do we need to fill out to report the sale of rental property?


The gain or loss on the sale of rental property is reported on Form 4797 (PDF), Sales of Business Property. Schedule D (Form 1040) (PDF), Capital Gains and Losses, is often used in conjunction with Form 4797.

For further information, refer to Publication 544, Sales and Other Dispositions of Assets, Publication 550, Investment Income and Expenses, the Instructions for Form 4797 (PDF), Sales of Business Property, and the Instructions for Schedule D (PDF), Capital Gains and Losses.

Category: Sale or Trade of Business, Depreciation, Rentals
Subcategory: Sales, Trades, Exchanges

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224