IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Sales, Trades, Exchanges

Question: What forms do we file to report a loss on the sale of a rental property?


Rental property is income-producing property, and as such, considered business property. The loss on the sale of rental property is reported on Form 4797 (PDF), Sales of Business Property. The ordinary loss is then normally transferred to line 14 of Form 1040 (PDF).

Additional Information:

Category: Sale or Trade of Business, Depreciation, Rentals
Subcategory: Sales, Trades, Exchanges

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224