Like Share Print
Question: I recently formed a limited liability company (LLC). The LLC has no employees, is not subject to relevant excise taxes, and has not elected to be taxed as a corporation. Do I need a separate federal tax ID number for the LLC?
- If you are the sole owner of the LLC and the LLC has no employees, you will not need a separate federal tax ID (EIN) number.
- If you are not the sole owner of the LLC, you will need a separate federal tax ID number for the LLC.
- A new LLC with one owner (Single Member LLC) that chooses to be taxed as a corporation or an S corporation will need a new federal ID number.
- Form 8832 (PDF), Entity Classification Election
- Tax Topic 755, Employer Identification Number (EIN) - How to Apply
- Form SS-4 (PDF), Application for Employer Identification Number
- Publication 1635 (PDF), Employer Identification Number - Understanding Your EIN
Category: Small Business, Self Employed, Other Business