IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page


Question: Must a partnership or corporation file a tax form even though it had no income for the year?


Partnerships and corporations have different standards for filing an income tax return.

  • A domestic partnership must file an income tax form unless it neither receives gross income nor pays or incurs any amount treated as a deduction or credit for federal tax purposes.
  • A domestic corporation (including a Subchapter S corporation) must file an income tax form whether it has taxable income or not.
  • A foreign corporation engaged in a trade or business in the United States at any time during the taxable year or with income subject to taxation under subtitle A of the Internal Revenue Code (relating to income taxes) generally must file an income tax form, even if the foreign corporation:
    • (a) has no income effectively connected with the conduct of a trade or business in the United States,
    • (b) has no income from sources within the United States, or
    • (c) has income exempt from income tax by reason of an income tax convention or any section of the Internal Revenue Code.

Additional Information:

Category: Small Business, Self-Employed, Other Business
Subcategory: Entities: Sole Proprietor, Partnership, Limited Liability Company/Partnership (LLC/LLP), Corporation, Subchapter S Corporation

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224