IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Form SS-4 & Employer Identification Number (EIN)

Question: Is an employer identification number the same as a tax identification number?


  • An employer identification number (EIN), also known as a federal tax identification number, is a type of taxpayer identification number (TIN) that is used to identify a business entity including a trust or estate.
  • If you are required to report employment taxes or excise taxes, or to give tax statements to employees or annuitants, you need an EIN.

Additional Information:

Category: Small Business, Self Employed, Other Business
Subcategory: Form SS 4 & Employer Identification Number (EIN)

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224