Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
To search the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs), enter your search terms or questions in the box below.
Top Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I notify the IRS my address has changed?
- Is there an age limit on claiming my child as a dependent?
- How much does an unmarried dependent student have to make before he or she has to file an income tax return?
- If I claim my daughter who is a full-time college student as a dependent, can she claim her own personal exemption when she files her return?
- Can I receive a tax refund if I am currently making payments under an installment agreement or payment plan for a prior year's federal taxes?
- To qualify for head of household filing status, do I have to claim my child as a dependent?
- What should I do if I made a mistake on my federal return that I have already filed?
- What is a split refund?
- How do I know if I have to file quarterly individual estimated tax payments?
- I retired last year, and started receiving Social Security payments. Do I have to pay taxes on my Social Security benefits?
- What are the tax changes for this year?
Frequently Asked Question Categories
- IRS Procedures
- Filing Requirements, Status, Dependents, Exemptions
- Itemized Deductions, Standard Deduction
- Interest, Dividends, Other Types of Income
- Retirement Plans
- Social Security Income
- Childcare Credit, Other Credits
- Earned Income Tax Credit
- Estimated Tax
- Capital Gains, Losses, and Sale of Home
- Sale or Trade of Business, Depreciation, Rentals
- Small Business, Self-Employed, Other Business
- U.S. Resident Aliens and Citizens Living Abroad
- Electronic Filing (e-file)
- Electronic Filers
- Other (Alternative Minimum Tax, Estates, Trusts, Tax Shelters, State Tax Inquiries)
- Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs)
Recent Developments for Tax Forms, Instructions, and Publications
Each year we update the answers to reflect the latest changes in tax regulations.
These Tax Topics contain general individual and business tax information.
Tax Trails is an interactive session which poses questions you can answer by selecting Yes or No.
Interactive Tax Assistant (ITA)
The ITA tool is a tax law resource that takes you through a series of questions and provides you with responses to tax law questions.