Be Prepared To Get The EITC You Earned
Going for tax help or return preparation? Go prepared with:
- Your valid driver’s license or other photo id card.
- Social security cards or a Social Security number (SSN) verification letter for all persons listed on the return.
- Birth dates for all persons listed on return.
- A copy of last year’s federal and state return if you have.
- All income statements: Forms W-2 and 1099, Social Security, unemployment, and other statements, such as pensions, stocks, interest and any documents showing taxes withheld. If self-employed or your own or run a business, bring records of all your income.
- All records of expenses, such as tuition, mortgage interest, or real estate taxes. If self-employed or you own or run a business, bring records of all your expenses.
- A copy of last year’s state and federal returns, if on hand.
- Bank routing numbers and account numbers to direct deposit any refund
- Dependent child care information: name and address of who you paid and either the caretaker’s SSN or other tax identification number.
- Both spouses to sign forms to e-file your joint tax return.
Your preparer, whether paid or volunteer, needs to ask many questions to file your return correctly. Avoid an audit, additional tax, penalties or interest by giving your preparer all your tax information and answering all questions.
Will You be Paying Someone to Do Your Taxes?
Be sure to choose one who uses a Preparer Tax identification number (PTIN) and signs your returns. Find more information on how to choose a tax return preparer here.
Publication 4716, Be Prepared to Get the EITC You Earned
For a printed version of the information above an more Order Publication 4716 online here. Publication 4716 lets you know what to bring to have your tax return prepared.to claim EITC. The publication also informs you of the importance of providing accurate information to save time and reduce the chance of mistakes. One side is in English and the other in Spanish.