Be Prepared To Get The EITC You Earned
Gather the Following Documents Before Your Return is Prepared
- Social security cards, a Social Security number (SSN) verification letter , or other U.S. government document verification for all persons listed on the return.
- Birth dates for all persons listed on return.
- A copy of last year’s federal and state return if you have.
- All income statements: Forms W-2 and 1099, Social Security, unemployment, and other statements, such as pensions, stocks, interest and any documents showing taxes withheld. If self-employed or your own or run a business, bring records of all your income.
- All records of expenses, such as tuition, mortgage interest, or real estate taxes. If self-employed or you own or run a business, bring records of all your expenses.
- A copy of last year’s state and federal returns, if on hand.
- Bank routing numbers and account numbers to direct deposit any refund
- Dependent child care information: name and address of who you paid and either the caretaker’s SSN or other tax identification number.
- Both spouses to sign forms to e-file your joint tax return.
Going for Tax Help or Return Preparation?
Go prepared with:
- All of the documents listed above that apply to you
- Your valid driver's license or other photo id card
- If you e-file a joint return, both spouses to sign forms
Publication 4716, Be Prepared to Get the EITC You Earned
Publication 4716 lets you know what to bring to have your tax return prepared.to claim EITC. The publication also informs you of the importance of providing accurate information to save time and reduce the chance of mistakes. The publication has both English and Spanish. Order the Publication 4716 here.
Or, return to your previous page by clicking the back button.