Claiming EITC for Prior Tax Years
It’s not too late to file your tax returns for 2010, 2011 and 2012 and claim the EITC and other important tax benefits if you were eligible.
I Didn’t File a Tax Return
Many individuals miss out on valuable tax credits because their income was below the amount requiring them to file or they had no taxes withheld from their paychecks. But, you must file a tax return to claim tax benefits such as the EITC, the child tax credit and the education credits.
Find out if you should file and how to get help below.
I Filed but I Didn’t Claim EITC and/or Other Tax Benefits
If you filed your own taxes or someone else prepared them for you, you need to file an amended return.
Find out if you were eligible for EITC and should file and how to get help below.
And, see Ten Facts on Filing an Amended Return.
Did I Qualify for EITC?
- Find the income limits, maximum credit amounts and specific tax year information for
- Did you qualify for EITC or other tax benefits?
- See, Do I Qualify for EITC for the requirements
- Use the EITC Assistant to see if you qualified for 2012 or 2010.
- See if you qualify for the Child Tax Credit and the Additional Child Tax Credit
- Don’t overlook the Education Credits--AOTC and LLC
- Forms and Instructions
- Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return
- Instructions for Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return
- Download the prior year tax forms and instructions. Keyword search: 1040.
- If you have a qualifying child or children, you’ll need to download Schedule EIC for prior years. This form must be attached to your 1040. Keyword search: EIC
- Order the forms and instructions by calling call 1-800-829-3676. Make sure you indicate the year or years you need the forms and instructions for.
Hurry, Your Time is Running Out?
- For 2011, you need to file your tax return or amend your return before April 17, 2015
- For 2012, you need to file your tax return or amend your return before April 15, 2016
Where to Get Help Preparing Your Tax Forms
- Free help preparing your return, all volunteer sites help you prepare your current year tax return and help you determine if you qualify for EITC. Some of the sites also help you claim EITC for earlier years.Find a location for free tax return preparation by volunteers here.
- If you go to or have a tax return preparer, ask your preparer about your prior year tax returns and check out, I’m Paying Someone to Do My Return, What Should I Know.