HCTC: The Monthly HCTC
The Monthly HCTC helps you pay for health insurance each month as your premiums become due, so you can start saving now when you need it, not just at the end of the year. This page provides information about how to register for the monthly HCTC program and what to expect after registering.
If individuals meet HCTC candidate requirements, they are sent an HCTC Eligibility Kit in the mail. The kit includes an HCTC Eligibility Certificate, an HCTC Eligibility Guide, and a Monthly Registration Form. Before you submit your completed HCTC Monthly Registration Form, you must receive an HCTC Eligibility Kit in the mail. In addition to receiving the Eligibility Kit, you must meet all HCTC eligibility requirements and have a qualified health plan. If you do not meet the HCTC eligibility requirements, enroll in a qualified health plan, or provide the required supporting documents, your form will not be processed. Please visit the following links for detailed information about these requirements:
To register for the monthly HCTC program, review the HCTC Eligibility Guide and complete the HCTC Monthly Registration Form. Again, please do not complete this form unless you have received an Eligibility Kit in the mail.
Once registered, you will receive a monthly invoice from the HCTC Program for your portion of the health insurance premium. You pay 27.5%, we will add 72.5%, and then we will forward the full 100% of the premium payment to your health plan.
Registering for the Monthly HCTC
To register for the Monthly HCTC, you need to:
- Receive an HCTC Eligibility Kit in the mail. You will receive this mailing once the PBGC or your state notifies the HCTC Program that you meet the candidate requirements.
- Review the HCTC Eligibility Kit and make sure you meet all the HCTC eligibility requirements.
- Fill out the HCTC Monthly Registration Form completely; an incomplete form or missing documents will delay the processing of your registration.
- Collect the supporting documents requested in the form. Make a copy of the form and documents for your records.
- Mail the completed form and your supporting documents to us at:
HCTC Processing Center
San Antonio, TX 78245
- Continue to pay your health insurance bills in full directly to your health plan until you receive your first HCTC invoice.
- Keep records of payments you make because you can claim the credit for these payments on Form 8885 when you file your federal income tax return.
Note: To receive the Monthly HCTC, your health plan administrator must agree to accept payments from the HCTC Program. We will work directly with your health plan administrator to set up the monthly payment cycle.
What Happens After Registering
After the HCTC Program processes your Registration Form, you will receive:
- A confirmation letter
- Your first monthly invoice
- An HCTC Registration Update Form
- An IRS Form 1099-H, once a year during tax season, showing the months and amount of the Monthly HCTC you received for the prior year; this form is informational and for your records only.
Who Cannot Register for the Monthly HCTC Program
The Monthly HCTC is not available to you if:
- You have health coverage through your spouse’s employer that is not COBRA
- You have a foreign address outside the United States or its territories
If you fall into one of these two categories, you can only claim the Yearly HCTC on your federal income tax return. Learn more about the Yearly HCTC.
How Long Can You Receive the Monthly HCTC?
You can receive the Monthly HCTC for as long as:
- The HCTC Program receives your monthly payments by the due date
- You continue to meet all HCTC eligibility requirements
Temporary State-Level Assistance While You are Registering for the HCTC
You may be able to apply for temporary state-level assistance for the HCTC, also called National Emergency Grant (NEG) Bridge Grant or Gap-filler funds. NEG funds are intended to help individuals pay their qualified health plan premiums while they are registering for, but have not yet received, the Monthly HCTC. This time period, or “gap,” ends when individuals receive their first invoice from the HCTC Program.
Refer to the NEG Contact List , or call the U.S. Department of Labor toll-free at 1-877-US-2JOBS to learn more about NEG Bridge Grants and to find out if they are available in your state.
Return to the HCTC Eligibility Requirements page.
Find out information about the Yearly HCTC.