IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

IRS Services for You

Here is a quick guide to getting help with your taxes. Resources for everything from preparing a return to checking on your refund are shown below.

If you need help with . . . Here's where to find it
General tax law information

Enter ITA into the Search feature on for the Interactive Tax Assistant, a tool that will ask you questions and provide tax law answers.

  • Enter IRS Tax Map or Tax Trails into the Search feature for more detailed information by tax topic.
  • Enter Pub 17 into the Search feature to get Pub 17: Your Federal Income Tax for Individuals, which features details on tax-saving opportunities, 2013 tax changes and thousands of interactive links to help you find answers to your questions.
  • Call TeleTax: 1-800-829-4477 for recorded information on a variety of tax topics.
  • Access tax law information in your electronic filing software.
  • Go to and click on the Help & Resources tab for more information.
Preparing a federal tax return

Find free options on or in your community for those who qualify:

  • Go to and click on the Filing tab.
  • Enter Free File into the Search feature to use brand name software to prepare and e-file your return for free.
  • Enter VITA into the Search feature, download the free IRS2Go app, or call 1-800-906-9887 to find the nearest Volunteer Income Tax Assistance or Tax Counseling for the Elderly location for free tax preparation.
  • Enter TCE into the Search feature or call 1-888-227-7669 to find the nearest Tax Counseling for the Elderly location for free tax preparation.
Checking on the status of a refund
  • Go to and click on Where’s My Refund.
  • Download the free IRS2Go app to your smart phone.
  • Call the automated refund hotline: 1-800-829-1954.
Checking on the status of an amended return
Making a tax payment

Go to and click on the Payments tab and select:

Instructions for additional payment options:

  • Enter OPA into the Search feature to get an Online Payment Agreement application.
  • Enter EFTPS into the Search feature to make recurring payments.
  • Enter Payment Plan into the Search feature to get a payment plan or Installment Agreement.
Understanding an IRS Notice of Letter
  • Enter "Understanding your notice" in the Search feature on to find additional information about your IRS notice or letter.
Getting a transcript or a copy of a return
  • Go to and enter “Order a Transcript” in the Search box.
  • Call the transcript toll-free line: 1-800-908-9946.
  • Mail in Form 4506-T (available on
Getting an Employer Identification Number (EIN)
Getting an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
  • Go to and enter ITIN in the Search feature to learn more and to get an application.
Understanding Identity Theft issues.
  • Go to and enter Identity Theft in the Search feature for information and videos.
  • Contact the Identity Protection Specialized Unit at 1-800-908-4490 if you believe you’re at risk due to a lost/stolen purse or wallet, questionable credit card activity or credit report, etc.
Obtaining a tax form or publication
Contacting a local Taxpayer Advocate
  • Go to and enter Taxpayer Advocate in the Search box or call them at 1-877-777-4778 or TTY/TTD: 1-800-829-4059.


Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 03-Apr-2014