IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Indications your identity may have been stolen and how to report it to us

Your identity may have been stolen if you receive a letter from the IRS stating or learn from a tax professional that ...

  1. ... you filed more than one tax return or someone has already filed using your information.

  2. ... you have a balance due, refund offset or have had collection actions taken against you for a year you did not file.

  3. ... you received wages from an employer you have not worked for.

If you receive such a letter from the IRS and you suspect your identity has been stolen, respond immediately to the name, address, phone number or fax listed on the IRS letter or contact the IRS to determine if the letter is a legitimate IRS letter.

If you become the victim of tax-related identity theft and are due a tax refund, the refund payment will likely be delayed. The best way for taxpayers to check the status of their refund is by going to "Where's My Refund?" or checking the "Where's My Refund?" frequently asked questions

If you become the victim of identity theft outside the tax system or believe you may be at risk due to a lost/stolen purse or wallet, questionable credit card activity or credit report, etc., you are encouraged to contact the IRS at the Identity Protection Specialized Unit, toll-free at 1-800-908-4490 so we can take steps to further secure your account.

The IPSU hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

You will need to fill out the IRS Identity Theft Affidavit, Form 14039. Please be sure to write legibly and follow the instructions on the back of the form.

Identity protection home page

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 21-Aug-2015

Are you a Victim of Identity Theft?

See YouTube for more ID theft videos.