Is Appeals the Place for You?
Appeals is the place for you if ALL of the following apply:
- You received a letter from the IRS explaining your right to appeal the IRS’s decision.
- You do not agree with the IRS’s decision.
- You are not signing an agreement form sent to you.
If all of the above are true, then you may be ready to request an Appeals conference or hearing.
Appeals is not for you if ANY of the following apply:
- The correspondence you received from the IRS was a bill and there was no mention of Appeals.
- You did not provide all information to support your position to the examiner during the audit.
- Your only concern is that you cannot afford to pay the amount you owe.
If you cannot identify the requirements or if you do not meet the conditions for having your case enter the Appeals process as explained above, contact the IRS employee you have been working with or call Taxpayer Service for assistance at 1-800-829-1040.
Alternative Dispute Resolution
Appeals offers mediation programs that can expedite the resolution of disputed issues.