IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

LT 26 (Letter 4903) Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What is the notice telling me?

We do not have a record of receiving federal income tax returns for the years indicated in the letter and you have not responded to previous requests to file the returns.

What do I have to do?

File the returns or contact us to discuss the matter. If you are a wage earner, we usually can provide you with your income and withholding information if you do not have the necessary records to complete your returns.

How much time do I have?

Contact us as soon as possible, but no later than 10 days after the date on the letter.

What happens if I don't file?

We may file the return for you. If this occurs, the tax liability could be higher than a return completed and filed by you because we must use Filing Status Single with one exemption or Married Filing Separate if the prior return was Married Filing Joint. Usually voluntarily filed returns reflect a lower net tax and/or a higher refund amount than a return prepared and filed on your behalf by us.

Who should I contact?

Contact us at the phone number shown in the letter; the person answering will be able to assist you.

What if I don't agree or have already taken corrective action?

If you do not agree with this notice, call us immediately at the number printed at the top of the notice. We will do our best to help you. If you called us about this matter before, but we did not correct the problem, you may want to contact the Office of the Taxpayer Advocate.

If you have already filed the requested return(s), you should still call us at the number printed at the top of the notice to make sure your account reflects this. We may ask you to resubmit the return with an original signature.

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 24-Feb-2014