Multi-Year VITA Grant Recipient
Welcome! We are excited to have you as a grantee. We look forward to the coming year.
- Grant Program Resource Guide - Here you will find the required actions you need to take during the 20 calendar days following notification to confirm your acceptance or decline of the grant award. Please refer to the section titled, "Required Actions for Acceptance or Decline of Grant Award."
- Orientation - Take a few moments to view the VITA/TCE Orientation video for program highlights within 20 days of award notification.
Managing the Grant:
Now that you have the grant, it's time to ensure your processes for managing the funds are in place and you can access the funds on-line.
- My responsibilities as a multi-year recipient - These requirements must be maintained each year to continue as a multi-year recipient.
- Maintain tax compliance
- Comply with all reporting requirements
- Meet minimum returns expected goal
- Grant Management - Check the Grant Programs Resource Guide for useful aids in grant management.
- Accessing Grant Funds - Use the Payment Management System to request and report funding information.
- Primary Contacts - Keep us informed of the individuals to contact regarding your grant.
Closing the Grant:
Final Report Requirements - Find out what to do when the project ends and it's time to submit the final report.
Continuation of Multi-year Grant:
- Multi-year recipients will receive notification of continued eligibility from the Grant Program Office in late April. If you are eligible to continue as a multi-year recipient, you will follow the abbreviated application process. If you are not eligible or if the multi-year period on your grant agreement indicates period 3, follow the application process at Applying for a VITA Grant to reapply for a multi-year grant. Publication 4671 provides a step-by-step guide.
Application Download and Submission:
- Download the application by following system instructions on Grants.gov.
- Complete the application as directed in Publication 4671.
- Submit the completed application and all required attachments through Grants.gov. All applications MUST BE submitted through Grants.gov on or before May 31.
Checklist for abbreviated application process:
The items indicated below should be included in the application. Please label the application by the names indicated in the Publication 4671 before submission.
- Standard Form 424, Application for Federal Assistance - Indicate "Continuation" in block 2 of the form.
- Narrative - Civil Rights narrative required; other narratives required if changes are needed
- VITA Grant Workbook or similar document
- Matching Funds Documentation
- Standard Form 424A, Budget Information - Non Construction Programs
- Indirect Cost Rate Agreement (if applicable)
- Standard Form LLL, Disclosure of Lobbying Activities (if applicable)
Notification of Grant:
- The Grant Program Office will notify applicants of their acceptance or rejection of a grant award by email. If not awarded a grant, general information is provided on why the applicant was not selected. Notification is scheduled for August 31.
- An applicant that is eligible for multi-year continuation will not be subject to the technical evaluation and will receive notification of award and funding earlier than applicants awarded under the competitive process.
The first three forms are for information only. You must use the forms that are included in the application package downloaded from Grants.gov for your submission.
- Standard Form 424, Application for Federal Assistance - This form is required for all grant applications.
- Standard Form 424A, Budget Information-Non Construction Programs. This form is required for all grant applications.
- Standard Form LLL, Disclosure of Lobbying Activities - This form is only required if applicable.
- DPM User-Access Form – This form is required to access the Division of Payment Management System.
- Form 1199-A Direct Deposit Sign-Up Form - This form is required to establish an account in the Payment Management System. Only forms associated with the grant identified on this website should be sent to this office.
- Form 13533 VITA/TCE Sponsor Agreement – The sponsor agreement is required to be completed by all grant recipients.
- Standard Form PPR, Performance Progress Report - This is the cover sheet for the final report.
- Standard Form PPR-A, Performance Measures - This form is used to report on your organization's performance.
- Standard Form PPR-B, Program Indicators - This form allows you to report on your organization's performance by program indicator.
- Publication 4671, VITA Grant Program Overview and Application Instructions
- Publication 4883, Grant Programs Resource Guide - Assistance in understanding requirements of the VITA and TCE Grant Programs.
- Publication 1084, IRS Volunteer Site Coordinator's Handbook - Guidance on managing and operating a VITA site.
- Publication 3189, Volunteer e-file Administration Guide - Guidance on electronic filing in the VITA and TCE Programs.
- VITA Grant Workbook - The workbook provides templates for use in reporting prior year performance, proposed returns, sites, focus, matching funds, budget detail information, and reporting cash sub-awards or third party transactions.
- VITA Grant FAQs - The most frequently asked questions regarding the VITA Grant process.
- VITA /TCE Grant Application Process Overview - Find grant opportunities and guidance on submitting an application in the VITA/TCE application process guide.
- Civil Rights/Reporting Requirement Highlights - Get an overview of the civil rights and reporting requirements for grant recipients.
- Grants.gov - Online federal grant announcement and application system.
- Office of Management and Budget - Circulars governing the administrative requirements, cost principles and audit requirements for grant recipients.
- System for Award Management (SAMS) - SAM is a free web site that consolidates the capabilities found previously in the Central Contractor Registration (CCR) and the Excluded Parties List System (EPLS). Organizations interested in applying for the VITA or TCE grants must maintain an active registration in SAM. It also contains information on organizations and individuals that are excluded from receiving federal funds.
- Sub-award Reporting - Reporting of first tier sub-awards. Please refer to the Terms and Conditions Addendum, Form 13981 for guidance on reporting sub-awards.
- State Review Required under Executive Order 12372 - Allows each state to designate an entity to review proposed federal financial assistance and direct federal development. Visit the website to determine whether your state participates.
Contact the VITA Grant Program at Grant.Program.Office@irs.gov.