Publications for Older Americans
The IRS has a Tax Counseling for the Elderly Program which offers FREE tax help to individuals who are aged 60 or older. Trained volunteers from non-profit organizations provide free tax counseling and basic income tax return preparation for senior citizens. Volunteers who provide tax counseling are often retired individuals associated with non-profit organizations that receive grants from the IRS. This cooperative agreement is authorized by Section 163 of the Revenue Act of 1978, Public Law No. 95-600, 92 Stat. 2810, November 6, 1978.
As part of the IRS-sponsored TCE Program, AARP offers the Tax-Aide program, assisting with tax services in every state and the District of Columbia in places such as senior centers, libraries, community centers, and other convenient locations across the country. Trained and certified AARP Tax-Aide volunteer counselors help people of low-to-middle income with special attention to those aged 60 and older. For more information on TCE call 1-800-829-1040. To locate the nearest AARP Tax-Aide site, call 1-888-227-7669 or visit AARP's Website.
For more information on managing a complete TCE program, see Publication 1101, Application and Guidelines for Managing a TCE (Tax Counseling for Elderly) Program
Persons with Disabilities
- Publication 502, Medical and Dental Expenses
- Publication 524, Credit for the Elderly or Disabled
- Publication 907, Tax Highlights for Persons with Disabilities
- Publication 3966, Taxpayers with Disabilities
Planning for Retirement?
- Retirement Savings Contributions Credit (Savers Credit)
- Choosing a Retirement Plan: 403(b) Tax-Sheltered Annuity Plan
- Social Security and Equivalent Railroad Retirement Benefits
- Resources - IRA-based Plans
- Choosing a Retirement Plan
- FAQ's regarding IRAs
- Publication 554, Tax Guide for Seniors
- Publication 575, Pension and Annuity Income
- Publication 590, Individual Retirement Accounts
- Publication 721, Tax Guide to U.S. Civil Service Retirement Benefits
- Publication 915, Social Security and Equivalent Railroad Retirement Benefits
Mutual Fund Distributions
- Publication 4334, SIMPLE IRA Publication
- Publication 17, Your Federal Income Tax
- Publication 523, Selling Your Home
- Form 8822, Change of Address
- Form 1040 (Schedule R), Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled
- Pensions and Annuity Withholding
- Tax Withholding
- Form W-4P, Withholding Certificate for Pension or Annuity Payments
- Form 1040ES, Estimated Tax for Individuals
- Publication 3864, Brochure - Tax Facts for Seniors with a Change in Marital Status
- Consumer Alert on Credit Counseling Organizations
- Filing or paying late - Information Taxpayers should know!
Many people today need more time to prepare their federal tax return. They may want to consider an extension of time to file. However, extension of time to file a return does not grant any extension of time to pay a tax liability.
- Understanding IRS Notices
- Where to File
- What records should I keep?
- Help with technical tax question
- Changing Your Address? Notify the IRS
- Tax Trails
- Frequently Asked Tax Questions And Answers
- Tax Forms and Publications
- Topics for Retirees
- Disaster Area Tax Relief
- Publications Online