IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Social Security Number and Claiming EITC

Return to EITC Home Page

To qualify for EITC, you and your spouse, if filing a joint return, must have a Social Security Number or SSN issued by the Social Security Administration that is valid for employment.

Any qualifying child listed on the Schedule EIC must also have a SSN that is valid for Employment. If the child was born and died during the year, you do not need a SSN. 

You cannot use an ITIN, Individual Taxpayer Identification Number or ATIN, Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number to claim EITC. If you or your child has an ITIN or ATIN and later gets a SSN that is valid for employment, you may be able to file an amended return. For more information on amended returns, see the amended return tax topic.

There is additional information for persons having social security cards saying “Not valid for employment” or “Valid for work with INS or DHS authorization” and other situations in Publication 596, Earned Income Credit or Publication 596 (SP) Credito por Ingreso del Trabajo.

Use the back button to Return to previous page or  Return to EITC Home Page

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 26-Feb-2015