Tax Trails - Are Your Work Related Educational Expenses Deductible?
Your unreimbursed educational expenses qualify.
Deductible expenses include:
- Tuition, books, supplies, lab fees and similar items
- Certain transportation and travel costs
- Other education expenses, such as the cost of research and typing when writing a paper
No double benefit allowed.
- You cannot deduct either of the following:
- Expenses you benefit from under any other provision of the law
- Expenses paid with tax-free scholarship, grant or employer-provided educational assistance
Deducting as a business expense:
Self-employed persons must use the appropriate form to report your business income and expenses (generally Schedule C (Form 1040) (.pdf), Profit or Loss From Business, Schedule C-EZ (Form 1040) (.pdf), Net Profit From Business, or Schedule F (Form 1040) (.pdf), Profit or Loss From Farming).
Employees include this amount with your deduction for any other employee business expenses on Schedule A (Form 1040) (.pdf), Itemized Deductions, or Schedule A in Form 1040NR (.pdf), U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return. This deduction is subject to a 2% limit of your adjusted gross income.