IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Tax Trails - Are Your Work Related Educational Expenses Deductible?

Your unreimbursed educational expenses qualify.

Deductible expenses include:

  • Tuition, books, supplies, lab fees, and similar items
  • Certain transportation and travel costs
  • Other education expenses, such as the cost of research and typing when writing a paper

No double benefit allowed.

  • You cannot deduct either of the following:
    • Expenses you benefit from under any other provision of the law
    • Expenses paid with tax-free scholarship, grant, or employer-provided educational assistance

Deducting as a business expense:

Self-employed persons must use the appropriate form used to report your business income and expenses (generally Schedule C (Form 1040) (.pdf), Schedule C-EZ (Form 1040) (.pdf), or Schedule F (Form 1040) (.pdf)).

Employees include this amount with your deduction for any other employee business expenses on Schedule A (Form 1040) (.pdf), or Schedule A in Form 1040NR (.pdf). This deduction is subject to a 2% limit of your adjusted gross income.

For more information, see Chapter 12, Business Deduction for Work-Related Education Expenses, in Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education.

Start Over      Main Menu

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 18-Apr-2014